Education and Engagement Events
Participate as a Mentor, Reviewer, or Presenter
The LPI invites planetary scientists to volunteer on Sunday afternoon, March 18, as reviewers for the Early Career Presenters Review and to present their science or conduct hands-on activities at Planetary Science Palooza. Volunteers are invited to mentor first-time LPSC attendees during sessions on Monday morning, March 19. Please email email@example.com to volunteer as an undergraduate reviewer, or as a presenter.
Scientist and Public Engagement Sessions
The LPI will be conducting sessions for planetary scientists, students, and the general public.
Planetary Science Palooza
Sunday, 2:00 p.m to 5:00 p.m., Montgomery A
All members of the public, including students, educators, program leaders, amateur astronomers, and their families, are invited to the LPSC Planetary Science Palooza! Explore hands-on activities and hear the latest findings from experts attending LPSC!
- This event is free and open to all audiences.
- No registration necessary.
- For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Early Career Presenters Review
Sunday, 1:00 to 5:00 p.m., Creekside Park
Students, post-doctoral fellows, and other early career scientists preparing to present research at the 49th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference are invited to present their LPSC 2018 oral or poster presentation and receive feedback from senior scientists before presenting during the regular meeting.
- Participants must register by Monday, March 12 at 5:00 p.m. U.S. Central Daylight Time.
- Registration is limited and is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- For more information or to participate as a reviewer, please contact Andy Shaner at email@example.com.
LPSC Insights: Get Connected, Stay Connected
Monday, 8:00 to 8:30 AM, Grogan's Mill
Are you a student attending LPSC for the first time? Are you unsure how to navigate the conference? Are you nervous about networking? The LPSC Insights: Get Connected, Stay Connected program is here for you! First-time student attendees who register for this program will be introduced to an experienced LPSC attendee and the pair will spend Monday morning, March 19, 2018, attending sessions and networking together.
- Student registration for LPSC Insights. The deadline for students to register is 5:00 p.m. U.S. Central Standard Time, March 9, 2018
- Mentor registration for LPSC Insights
- Questions? Contact Andy Shaner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Planetary Scientist Workshop: Sharing Science with the News Media
Wednesday, 12:00 to 1:15 p.m., Shenandoah
Planetary scientists attending LPSC are invited to this free workshop, where they will learn techniques and suggestions for communicating with the press, by the press. Science journalists David W. Brown and Emily Lakdawalla will share tips and provide insight on giving interviews and sharing your science with the press.
- Free, no registration required.
- Please fill in our indication of interest form to receive further details about this event.
Visualize Sharing Your Science!
Tuesday and Thursday, 7:00 to 9:00 PM, Town Center Foyer
Stop by the LPI’s portable planetarium for demos on how you can use a planetarium to share your science! LPI education and public engagement staff will be on hand to discuss ways you can use the visualization power of a planetarium to communicate the excitement of your science.